|Board of Education Meetings for September|
|Monday, September 14 2015 @ 7 am|
Audit Committee will meet @ 6:15 pm
|Board of Education Meetings for October|
|Monday, October 5, 2015 @ 7 pm|
| Monday, October 19, 2015 @ 7 pm|
| Board of Education Meetings for November|
| Monday, November 16, 2015 @ 7 pm|
A school board member in New York State serves as a state official. The board's powers are derived from the state Constitution, laws of New York State, and rulings of the state Commissioner of Education.
Livonia Central School Board of Education
Front row: Andy Mayo
, Andy Mattle (Vice President)
, Dave Woodruff (President)
Back row: Mark Connor, Dave Bernacki, Amy Stahl, Rick Wilkins
What is a Board of Education?
As elected representatives, board members ensure that the school remains responsive to the needs of district residents by serving as a link between school and community. The Board of Education establishes official policy and sets goals for the school district. All board decisions follow logically from these goals and objectives. Board decisions can be made only by the board acting as a whole in a public meeting. No individual member may bind the Board of Education to a particular course of action.
Responsibilities of the Board
As the official policy-making body of the school district, the Board of Education has many responsibilities, including...
- Establishing policies for the operation of the school district.
- Determining the district's educational goals and standards.
- Authorizing the development or revision of curricula.
- Evaluating the effectiveness of programs and services.
- Authorizing personnel actions, including the appointment of professional educators,
upon the superintendent's recommendation.
- Cooperating with school and community stakeholders to develop a budget consistent with educational needs and community resources.
- Representing the views of the community in educational matters.
- Communicating educational programs and needs to the community.
Board of Education Meeting Schedule
Meetings are held in the Beverly Hern Memorial Library located at the Connell Building located at 40 Spring Street, Livonia NY. Please use the Spring Street entrance.
The Board of Education typically meets on the 2nd and 4th Mondays at 7:00 p.m. unless otherwise noted. Meeting dates and times for the school year are posted on the district calendar.
The public agenda will be available Friday at noon before the Monday of the meeting.
**It is recommended that you subscribe to the district calendar to receive automatic notifications of any meeting changes. Thank you.
Etiquette — Rules of Public Address While Attending a BOE Meeting
The Board of Education is a body of school district residents,elected by the community and charged with conducting school-related business. The meetings are conducted under the Open Meeting Law, but are not open forums for the community.
On the meeting agenda, there is a time during which the public may address the Board regarding agenda items or other comments or questions. This time is usually shortly after the opening of the meeting.
All comments shall be directed to the President of the Board. If a question is asked, the President shall either respond directly or redirect the question to another member of the Board, to the Superintendent, or to a member of the administrative staff. Spontaneous discussions between a presenter and the audience are not permitted.
Board Member Terms
The Board is composed of seven community members who are elected to 3-year terms by District residents. The Board terms have been staggered so that only two or three terms expire in a given year. Board members are elected as part of the budget vote, which occurs on the third Tuesday of May each year, and take office on July 1 of that year.
- J. David Woodruff, President - term expires: 6/30/18
- Andy Mattle, Vice President - term expires: 6/30/16
- Mark Connor - term expires: 6/30/18
- David Bernacki - term expires: 6/30/16
- Amy Stahl - term expires: 6/30/17
- Andy Mayo - term expires: 6/30/17
- Rick Wilkins - term expires: 6/30/17
We, the Board, the Superintendent and the Administrative Staff may be contacted during the school day to set up appointments by calling the District Clerk, Diane Tusch, at 346-4000, ext. 4000.
Thank you for your interest and cooperation.