The Livonia Central School District Board of Education is seeking to fill a vacancy on the Board for the seat previously held by Andrew Mattle, who resigned on July 1st, 2022. New York State law allows school boards to fill such vacancies by appointment until the next regular election on May 16, 2023.
The appointment will be for a term of approximately eight months, from October 17, 2022, until May 2023. If the appointed person wishes to complete the remainder of Mr. Mattle’s three-year term, ending on June 30, 2025, they would need to file a petition and run for election in May, along with any other interested candidates.
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age, a U.S. citizen, and a resident of the school district for at least one year prior to the appointment. The Board invites interested candidates to submit a letter of interest to Melessa Witkowski, District Clerk, by noon on August 12, 2022.
The New York State School Boards Association (NYSSBA) notes that School Board members should possess the following traits to be an effective member:
- Effective Communicator: Can describe what he or she wants and describe what others want; a good listener
- Consensus Builder: Capable of working toward decisions that all can support and willing to compromise to achieve goals
- Community Participant: Enjoys meeting a variety of people, can identify the community’s key communicators, and reaches out to the community
- Decision Maker: Is comfortable making decisions and can support group decision-making
- Information Processor: Can organize priorities and schedules to handle large amounts of verbal and written information
- Leader: Willing to take risks, be supportive of board colleagues, district staff and community
- Team Player: Helps promote the board’s vision and goals
Letters of interest can be mailed to Melessa Witkowski, District Clerk, Livonia Central School District, 40 Spring Street, Livonia, NY 14487, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Board of Education will review the letters of interest and schedule interviews between August 16th - September 11th. The appointment of the new member will be made at the Board of Education meeting on September 12th, 2022.
For more information or questions about the Board vacancy, please contact Melessa at (585) 346-4000 ext. 4100